Welcome to the June edition of Neal's Young Guns. Because it's getting harder to find new talent, I have decided to do this column on a bi monthly basis. This month was really tough to find new talent. I guess if prodigys were a dime a dozen, us musicians would be out of work.
Also please note. I will soon be changing the format of this column. This will be the final Young Guns installment and will be changing the format to Terrifying Shredders. I will be on the lookout for unknown shredders of all ages and pick the top 5 for each month so stay tuned.
Anyways, here are my 5 final entries for May-June 2012 Young Guns.
The Official Site: shredguitarist.org
Submit your videos here: youtube.com/NealsYoungGuns
1. David Kontra: I had him on here before but I didn't know what his name was before. He also did a cover of Racer X "Technical Difficulties" before. This little excerpt is pretty scary.
2. Best New Orleans street musician I've seen: I have no idea who he is but this video was impressive. He's got to be pretty young too!
3. Ryunosuke Band: Japanese kid band on a Korean TV show. Ryunosuke Yamagishi (vocal and guitar, age 9), Ren Tanaka (drums, age 9), Keito Hori (bass, age 12).
4. Harry Jackson: Jamming live in a cover band at the age of 7. Pretty impressive! I'm sure he will be scary when he gets older.
5. Austin Scott: With his band doing Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher".
It was pretty hard finding new stuff so I hope you enjoy these and if anyone out there know some great young talent and have a video of them performing or you think you have what it takes to be here, feel free to send me a link!
Neal Nagaoka, a guitarist and composer from California, has 28 years of studying and performing experience along with 25 years of teaching guitar students. His most recent CD "Transition" features ten hard rock and metal instrumentals.
Send comments or questions to: